Friday, January 28, 2011

{january: week four}

Some highlights from our week:

Alphabet Letter Q

We read this story and every time we heard the "Q" sound, we touched our noses.




This was a fun book.  My girls and I were at the library this week and I came across this set of alphabet books. It has pictures in it, so each time I came to a "q"word, I let my students read it.


Our letter Q flashcards from KizClub.com.


We played a few fun games focusing on hearing the sound and recognizing the letter Q.
We talked about quarters this week and added them to our calendar corner wall.  We observed the details on the "head" side and the "tail" side.

Flipping Over Q 
This idea was taken from the Education Center's Circle Time from A to Z.  Each student received a "quarter" and took a turn flipping it to see which side would land up.  Not too scientific. :)  It would have worked much better {I think} if I had just taped letters to each side of several real quarters.  There was no weight to our "quarters" so {from my observations} it was easy for the students to choose which side they wanted to land face-up. But, we all had fun and learned a little bit about making tally marks.  Here are the "quarters" I made.  If the formatting remains the same, they should line up pretty close if you print them back to back.





Qs for the Queen
This idea was taken from the Education Center's Circle Time from A to Z.  Each student pretended that she was a queen and if the letter card that Ms. Carlie held up was a "Q", then everyone could bow or curtsy.  This is the best I could get my little Bug to do since she had never curtsied before this day.  We shouted, "Q is for Queen" each time we curtsied.  Here are the letter cards I made.
 

Rhyme of the Week: Here is the Beehive

Handwriting Practice: Q
We learned how to form a letter P and practiced writing it on our chart.  We practiced on the white board and on our handwriting sheet, too. Writing it is shaving cream on our desks was awesome!

Art Activities: Painting and Choice Art

Snack Time: AB Patterning

Word Family Chunk: ike


Word Study: Words Their Way
Sort #10b - How Many Syllables Can You Count?  {adding three, four & five syllable words}

We added the second set of cards to the first set and the students were able to determine the number of syllables quickly. 
Team Work

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment